Sodium acetate (NaCH3COO) is the salt of acetic acid that has white crystalline powder appearance and is odorless normally, but whenever you warm it for analysis, it smells like vinegar.
CAS NO: 127-09-3
E NO: E262
|Tel:+86-2150591759||pdf downloed||Email: email@example.com|
Sodium Acetate with NaCH3COO formula is the sodium salt of acetic acid. It has two salts include anhydrous and trihydrate. It is widely used in various fields such as food, industrial, biotechnological, buffer solution, and others.
|1.528 g/cm3 (20 °C, anhydrous)
1.45 g/cm3 (20 °C, trihydrate)
|324 °C (615 °F; 597 K) (anhydrous)
58 °C (136 °F; 331 K) (trihydrate)
|881.4 °C (1,618.5 °F; 1,154.5 K) (anhydrous)
122 °C (252 °F; 395 K) (trihydrate) decomposes
|Acidity (pKa)||24 (20 °C)
There are two structures for Sodium Acetate:
Form Ι, orthorhombic, Pcca, a= 17.850 (15), b=9.982 (7), c=6.068 (4) Å, V= 1081.2 (15) Å3, Z = 12, Dx = 1.512 Mg m-3, graphitemonochromated Mo Ka, λ = 0.7107 Å, µ = 0.243 mm-1, F(000) = 504, T= 298 K, R = 0.061 for 556 observed reflections. The structure has Na+– carboxylate layers alternating with layers of methyl group contacts, with the C-C bonds along.
Form II, orthorhombic, a= 5.951 (2), b=20.213 (7), c = 5.902 (3) Å, V= 709.9 (5) Å3, Z= 8, Dx= 1.535 Mgm-3, µ(Mo Kα) = 0.247 mm-1, F(000) = 336, T = 298 K, R = 0.074 for 427 observed reflections. This structure is characterized by stacking faults in the molecular layers perpendicular to b, giving rise to domains belonging to Pcca, with halved b axis, and Icab (standard Ibca). The cells of the two forms are related by aɪɪ ≈ aɪ/3, bɪɪ ≈2bɪ, cɪɪ ≈ cɪ.
Synthesis of Sodium Acetate
The common method for the synthesis of this product is metathesis reaction by calcium acetate and soda ash. For decolorizing adds activated carbon, then crystals appear by cooling, and centrifugation gets us the product. This method has some benefits that mention below:
1- Determine the best proportioning of reactant
2- Do not need strong alkaline liquid to filter
3- Do not need yet concentrated or adjustment proportion, adopt the conventional simple device
4- Technological process does not need heating
5- Processing condition relax, stabilize, low for equipment requirements.
NaOAC is one of the most widely used materials in today’s industrial society, which we will discuss some applications of this material below.
- By the electrolyte of NaCH3COO, when given intravenously, is used to correct sodium levels in hyponatremic patients.
- Prevents culturing bacteria in the acidic areas
- Increasing the yields of DNA isolation
- In textile industry used as photoresist when working with aniline dyes
- In processing cotton used to remove the buildup of static electricity
- Used in prepared food as a preservative like Canned meat, sardines, fish pastes, and fermented shellfish.
Generally for this salt, toxicity in humans is minimal but According to the MSDS paper, it is necessary to know the points.
- Vapors are heavier than air and may spread along with floors.
- Forms explosive mixtures with air on intense heating.
- In the event of a fire development of hazardous combustion gases or vapors possible, so wear self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Suppress gases/vapors/mists with a water spray jet.
- Inhalation of sodium acetate may cause a cough and sore throat.
- Direct skin or eye contact may cause redness and irritation.
*Acta Cryst. (1983). C39, 690-694: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1107/S0108270183005946?sentby=iucr