|Tel:+86-2150591759||pdf download||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Calcium propionate is a type of mineral salt that is mainly used as an additive in the food industry. Calcium propionate is widely used as a preservative in the production of food products and it also can be very effective in inhibiting the growth of mold and bacteria.
Under natural conditions, the appearance of this antibacterial chemical is in the form of white crystals, but its solution type is also very common. The chemical formula of calcium propionate is C6H10CaO4. It is very useful in agricultural industries to prevent brucellosis and also to prevent the production of microbes such as benzoates. Its antimicrobial properties are widely used in the pharmaceutical industry and the paint and resin industries, as an additive.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), this mineral is classified as a safe substance for humans, but care should be taken in the consumption of foods that contain this mineral, as its use in very high amounts can cause stomach upset or abdominal inflammation.
In the following, we will learn more about the applications, properties, and physical and chemical properties of this antibacterial chemical.
Read more: Etidronic acid (HEDP)
Physical and chemical properties:
Chemically calcium propionate is stable and also has antibacterial and anti-mold properties. This compound has a weak odor and is a hygroscopic substance that can be easily dissolved in water but its solubility in alcohol compared to Water is less, usually incompatible with strong oxidants.
This mineral is active in the pH range below 5.5. At higher pH, the amount of propionate needed to preserve a food must increase 500-fold.
The most important physical and chemical properties of this chemical can be summarized in the following way so that we become more familiar with its chemical properties:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||186.22|
|Melting point (ºC)||300|
|Boiling point (ºC)||141.7|
|Solubility||slightly soluble in methanol, ethanol insoluble in acetone, benzene|
Chemical structure of calcium propionate:
The chemical structure of this mineral salt is as follows:
Synthesis and production of Calcium propionate:
Calcium hydroxide can be used to produce calcium propionate. For this purpose, a chemical reactor is used. First, calcium hydroxide and propionic acid enter the reactor in certain proportions. These materials react in the presence of ionized water to the acidity of the product increases to about 8.
In the next step, we keep the reaction temperature at about 80 ° C for 30 minutes, then by filtration, crystallization, and drying operations, we can obtain the powder of desired product.
During the production operation and to produce this natural salt in different purity percentages, the percentage of use of each component participating in the reaction can be changed to reach the desired purity percentage.
Applications and uses:
The main use of propionate is in the production of food products, which is used as an additive in the role of preservatives and the production of products such as bread, dairy, and cooked meat products. The use of calcium propionate can prevent the growth of microorganisms and the duration Increase in the durability of manufactured products.
- In bread production, this salt can prevent the growth of mold and help increase the quality of bread, this salt has little effect on yeast; The growth of mold and fungus in bread dough is usually a serious problem that bakers face. Using this mineral can greatly solve this problem. The permissible amount of consumption based on the weight of flour is about 0.1 to 0.4 percent.
- In the livestock industry, calcium propionate is used as an additive in their feed to prevent some diseases in livestock.
- In the agricultural industry, this mineral can be used in livestock and poultry feed, such as a dog or cow food.
- This antibacterial substance is also used to prevent the growth of microorganisms in the production of beverage products.
Toxicity and side effects of calcium propionate:
As mentioned, calcium propionate is considered safe by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The test results also show that the use of this chemical is safe for humans and its side effects are very limited.
The human body is not able to store this mineral salt and is easily excreted by the gastrointestinal tract, which is a positive point, but people who are allergic to it can cause discomforts such as headaches, dizziness, or vomiting.
- Some studies focusing on the very high consumption of food supplements have shown that the use of propionate is associated with the production of insulin by the human body and in very rare cases can cause type 2 diabetes.
- In some children, high calcium propionate intake can cause disorders such as drowsiness, restlessness, and irritability.
Transporting and storage:
use a cool and dry place to store this chemical away from heat, direct sunlight, and Humidity.