- Product Specification
|Tel:+86-2150591759||PDF Download||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Sodium nitrite is an important nitrite salt with the chemical formula NaNO2. This product is a strong reducing agent and it mainly executes oxidation reactions in an acidic solution. It prevents the growth of bacteria and vegetables have some levels of this product that lettuce and spinach contain some of the highest concentrations but in most vegetables are found low concentrations of it.
|white or slightly yellowish solid|
|271 °C (520 °F; 544 K)
(decomposes at 320 °C)
(decomposes at 608°F )
|Solubility||soluble in water:
71.4 g/100 mL (0 °C)
160 g/100 mL (100 °C)
soluble in methanol (4.4 g/100 mL)
Synthesis of Sodium nitrite:
The reaction of preparing sodium nitrite is by heating sodium nitrate and lead.
NaNO3 + Pb –>NaNO2 + PbO
In different reactions we can use this inorganic sodium salt to formed other important products that some of them are mentioned below:
ammonium nitrite and sodium chloride are formed by heating ammonium chloride with NaNO2.
NH4Cl + NaNO2 –>NH4NO2 + NaCl
NH4NO2 –>N2 + 2H2O
Under boiling conditions, NaNO2 reacted with concentrated hydrochloric acid to produce sodium nitrate, sodium chloride, nitric oxide, and water.
3NaNO2 + 2HCl –>NaNO3 + 2NaCl + 2NO + H2O
Another important reaction to produce sodium sulfate and nitrogen dioxide is that NaNO2 reacts with sulfuric acid.
2NaNO2 + H2SO4 –>Na2SO4 + NO2 + NO + H2O
Sodium nitrite is inorganic sodium salts and widely used materials in today’s industrial society, which we will discuss the most important applications of this material below.
Industrial production of organonitrogen compounds is the essential use of NaNO2. Also, its for the conversion of amines into diazo compounds as a reagent.
This product formed Nitroso compounds that are used in the rubber industry.
In the textile industry is used for printing textile fabrics and bleaching fibers.
In the 1920s and 1930s, NaNO2 came into medical use and also was placed on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines. In this field, it’s as a bronchodilator, vasodilator, and laxative.
Also, this product with sodium thiosulfate is used to treat cyanide poisoning as a medication.
Food additive and preservative
The most important examples in this field are:
- Color and taste: By nitrite salt is used for meat curing, preservation, and coloring
- Inhibition of microbial growth: For controlling the growth of other spoilage or disease-causing microorganisms, this product has differing degrees of effectiveness.
- Inhibition of lipid peroxidation: NaNO2 acts as an antioxidant and usefully cause delays the oxidative rancidity for the coloring effect.
According to the MSDS paper some points mentioned below:
- If inhaled, it may be fatal.
- It can cause cancer and an explosion or fire hazard
- Having it during pregnancy may pose a health risk by increasing the probability of brain tumors in the baby
- It causes digestive tract, skin, and eye irritation on contact.
- The compound is highly toxic and if ingested it may cause cyanosis, convulsions, and even death.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Sodium nitrate is a type of salt that happens to be a particularly effective food preservative. A naturally occurring mineral, sodium nitrate is present in all kinds of vegetables (root veggies like carrots as well as leafy greens like celery and spinach) along with all sorts of fruits and grains.
Product Name: Sodium nitrite
CAS number: 7632-00-0
E number: E250